So I’d been on the hunt for months for a little media console cabinet thingy to house books (for now) and a future flat screen TV (when the budget permits) for the studio above our garage. Lucky me, I popped into the Goodwill last week and I found this $10 cabinet that was the perfect size but not the coolest look at first glance.
But you know me, never deterred by initial appearances, I worked a little DIY magic on this old relic and brought it into this century with a modification that included new mirrored panels with a X pattern, primer, and white paint.
I think this bi-fold door cabinet would still be cool if all four panels were that raised geometric pattern but the iron grill combo totally threw me off.
Whatever the original designer was trying to say wasn’t working for me so the first thing I did was to verify the panels could be removed. Yep!
Oh but most importantly. Check it, ten dollars for solid wood.
(If you spy one of these old fuddy duddy cabinets always check the panels to see if they’re removable. It’s a more difficult process to cut them out if they’re not but it could still be done.) Anyway, I wanted to simplify the busyness of the panels and make it look more contemporary, hence the new mirrored panels with the criss cross X motif.
I sanded the top with my orbital sander since it suffered from surface damage, a few scratches, etc.
I’m a Zinsser girl so I’ve gotten in the habit of using the spray formula for vertical surfaces but rolling on a coat of the brush on to the top (sometimes two coats). I find for heavily used horizontal surfaces (coffee tables & kitchen tables), the brush/roll on formula provides extra durability. I always use foam rollers designed for cabinets and then toss it when I’m done.
Just like with this mosaic tile bathroom mirror, I went to Lowes to have mirror cut to fit my cabinet doors. $11.51 for four pieces yes eleven dollars and fifty one cents total for custom cut mirror, can’t beat that!
To secure the mirror to the inside of the primed cabinet doors, I used a household silicone adhesive sealant, this one has always worked well for me for adhering glass to most anything.
I painted the cabinets with Chalk Paint in Pure White. I’d been wanting to try this color for a long time since I’ve always used Old White in the past, and this hue is what it says it is: pure white. AS Chalk Paint doesn’t usually require priming but old stained oak will bleed so a primer that blocks stains saves you time and headache if bleeding should occur.
To create the X pattern, I picked up two 8 foot pieces of flat lattice at Lowes.
Matt cut the angles with our miter saw with the same technique used on these criss cross planters. I adhered the pieces to the mirror with more silicone adhesive and filled any small gaps with lightweight spackling.
A little touch up paint and new glass knobs was all the cabinet needed and it has a whole new look.
For now I’m using it for storage but the plan is to use it as a media cabinet in the future with a flat screen on top and equipment/DVDs below.
The acrylic lamp I bought at Target years ago, it’s been sitting in a closet waiting for a new spot, but good news it’s still available. The typographic Manhattan print by Famille Summerbelle is available here (frame from IKEA), and the retro silver wall phone I ordered a few months ago from here.
I know I’ve been saying it for years, but it’s true, the Goodwill can be such a goldmine!